Summer Sewing & Fall Travel

Summer is way over now, but being laid up with a head cold has provided some much overdo blogging time, and we can play a bit of catch up. 




Firstly, a knit velour t-shirt for Natasha, with a contrasting peter pan collar. The fabric was a Christmas gift and I finally got around to making it into her top back in...July maybe? It came together quite nicely, and I copied one of her existing t-shirts for the pattern. 


The floral print pillow was from Target (it just kinda hopped into my arms and wouldn't leave). But the plaid one I made with fabric from Hobby Lobby. I just love the instant gratification of a fresh new pillow cover.


I repurposed our old linen duvet cover for a summer nightgown for Natasha. After 6 years of daily use on our bed, the duvet had worn thin in several places. I used two layers of the fabric to make up for that factor and since it was so lightweight and soft it made a perfect nightgown. 
During construction, I thought the fabric looked like a rain cloud, so I got the idea to use rainbow thread colors for the shirring at the neckline and sleeves. 
If you're looking for a versatile girl's pattern, check out this free peasant dress. It can be used with different fabrics for different looks and drape, and I already have plans to make Natasha a dress with shirring at the waist. 


I also made myself a new dress. This was created and drafted by myself...I'm not sure I could repeat it if I wanted to, although I did take notes. Its debut was in Sedona, Arizona on a girls trip as a last summer hurrah. I will be the first to admit I wasn't sure I'd like Sedona but I was pleasantly surprised and really had a good time in the canyon with red mountains. Staying at a high end resort probably had something to do with liking it so much. I felt rather out of my comfort zone and quite pampered.

***

Next up, a London Backpack. I knew we had some traveling coming up and I needed something with two straps. (Sometimes a bag over just one shoulder makes my shoulder ache after long periods of walking.) This pattern was ideal. I love the size. I was surprised how easily a water bottle, a book, umbrella, sunscreen, wallet, knitting, etc... all fit inside. But it's not bulky or huge. I used wool fabric I had on hand and lined it with some reproduction 1930'/40's cotton print.

The practically hidden zippered pocket on the back makes me feel very secure knowing it can't be pickpocketed while riding the underground. It came together very easily, and the only change I made was widening the straps to 1 1/2" and adding an outside pocket for my phone to easily slide into.

This backpack has already been around the world as seen here in....

Sedona, Arizona, Subway Cave.
August, 2022

The Cliffs of Mohr, Ireland
September, 2022

Ambleside, England

London Eye, London.
Quite appropriate for the name of the bag...

Snowdon, Wales

Train travel in England


We were thrilled to travel again and we took most of the month of September to see some of Ireland, Isle of Man, England and Wales. I had been to Ireland, Scotland and England when I was 19 and thought it was the trip of a lifetime. I honestly thought I'd never see those places again. More than once I felt like crying on this most recent trip because not only was I here again, but with my husband and two children. I'm so grateful we can explore together, especially after a 3 year gap of getting out of the country. It was grand. 






Comments

Popular Posts