Summer School

Summer school. You know how some homeschoolers seem to take about 1 week off from the books and that's their summer break? We are not those folks. Aside from continuing math, our summer school consists of normal life and learning that happens naturally. 

Lincoln has his own math book now and he goes through spurts of being quite interested and then slacking off. I don't push it, mainly because, I have other things to do during the summer and that's what school is for come fall, right? Also, he's 5. There is no rush.

As for the learning that's happening naturally, it's been a fun summer. 

I happily helped Natasha learn how to cross stitch, and this skill came in handy for the many hours she has sat by the side of the road with her very first lemonade stand. Another quite handy skill, which includes navigational skills for where to place the sign, tallying up the cost for supplies, patience to sit in the humidity and wait for customers, etc...


This table cloth was my Grandma's. I know she'd love to see it being used here by her grandchildren.


We also learned that Polish chickens need occasional haircuts. The darker colored ones in particular, could not see very well due to their crazy headdresses. They wandered around in a dazed, somewhat lost life, until we gave them the light of day. I was the barber, and the giver of sight in this case.



This is Frederick, pre-haircut.


Lincoln might need to re-take his photography course and pay more attention to keeping the horizon straight.



Natasha had a class with her Pappa on product design. Here, he describes the process required to make a candlestick.


The children weren't the only ones learning new skills. I have been busy with the spray paint. Beware...I'm getting pretty handy with it. 


One of the best things about life is there's always something new to learn. More books to be read, history to think about, skills to improve upon, new recipes to try, hobbies to pick up. 
Pottery is on my list of skills to try. Maybe this fall/winter?
I've also been trying to learn how to swim underwater without holding my nose. I totally faked the breathing part of Red Cross swimming lessons as a 6 year old. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and considered. 
Is there something you want to learn new or improve upon? 

Comments

Popular Posts