I Started A Thing

At the beginning of the year I realized that one of my New Year's Resolutions (of sorts...held very loosely) was to join a book club. Funny how I love to read and am surrounded by readers, but we never really gather to purposefully talk about books, nor have I ever heard them talk about being in a book club. I didn't know how to go about joining one and didn't want to join one where I didn't know anyone. 

All this was remedied when I mentioned to my dear friend Holly, who moved to the area for a few months, that I was reading "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arnim. She said she was currently reading the same book and she'd love to meet to talk about it. Fortunately she has been part of an official book club and said I should just start my own.

So, I took the plunge, and started a club. 
For the first time since I was 10.  




It doesn't have a name yet, but we had our first meeting and it was so. much. fun. We gathered one sunny evening to talk about the book, snack on olives and sip some wine, while children ran in and out around us. Some of us had physical books checked out from the library, a few of us listened to it, and one of us scrolled furiously on her phone reading in between making bread, yogurt and tending 4 children in a matter of 12 hours before our first meeting. She got extra points for that, believe me!

This small endeavor has reminded me that there will always be something new to try, and it's okay to step out of your comfort zone to start something new if you don't see what you're looking for already established around you. This wasn't that hard to do anyway since it involves my close friends, food and books. All which I love dearly.


Comments

Popular Posts