Easter 2017

Easter is one of those holidays I just love. There aren't high expectations for much in our family and it makes it so much less stressful and more enjoyable. Like last year, did a very small little gift for Natasha on the first day of Spring rather than Easter morning and I really like that tradition. It keeps Resurrection Day more set aside for celebrating the empty tomb rather than getting gifts, but I still get the fun of doing a little spring gifting too. This year it really was "little" with Natasha's one gift being a pack of face paint. Not even any candy in her bag this year. (!)

Apparently it's another tradition to get a family picture in our Sunday best:




  
This year we had a special meal for supper rather than at noon, and it was so fun. I went into it with a "nothing-fancy" mentality and the results were better than I anticipated. (Goes to show I should probably try this thought method for every gathering.) Even though I did a few "fancier" things anyway. It is a special day, after all.

Because I had all afternoon to prepare, I wasn't running around like a crazy catering woman, and instead had fun clipping blossoms from our ornamental pear tree and set the table casually
 yet out of the ordinary. The table decor was completely inspired by Rebecca Gallop from "A Daily Something" after I saw a beautiful picture she featured on her Instagram account. It was super easy to replicate and so springy. 

I used the hard boiled eggs that Natasha and I dyed last week, and napkins I had on hand from one of my Grandma's. They didn't all match, but that was fine. Less perfect is more perfect to me. 




My little piece of "Magnolia Market" are these little salt and pepper shakers. I discovered them a while ago and waited till they were in stock then ordered them so Daniel could give them to me for my birthday. ;) They are my idea of perfect salt and pepper shakers. I smile almost every time I reach for them for these three reasons:

  • First off, they're simple, straight-forward and not fussy. 
  • Secondly, you can easily see which is which without being scared of getting too much of whichever one you didn't want for not knowing if the pepper shaker has more or less holes than the salt.
  • Thirdly, they have cute shaking holes which make it even more clearer, in case for some reason you need extra clarity with that. Also adds an element of fun to an ordinary household object. 


Our Easter menu was based around a leg of lamb. I typically cook it in the crock pot, but since I had more time, I roasted it using Danielle Walker's lavender-rosemary roasted lamb from her Celebrations cookbook. It turned out quite tasty paired with her Moroccan marmalade from the same cookbook.  Also on the menu: Roasted Yukon potatoes and sweet potatoes, fresh green beans (prepared by my sister-in-law), gluten-free dinner rolls, deviled eggs, carrot slices and rice krispie treats for dessert.

None of all that glorious food is pictured though...because we ate it.


What are some traditions your family has for Easter? Are you the brunch type of folks or the eat-out-and-not-cook for Easter Sunday group? I hope whichever category you fall in (and I've been on both sides of this in my life), you had a wonderful relaxing weekend.

He is risen, he is risen indeed!

Comments

Popular Posts