Winter Home

Winter is when we are home and indoors a lot. Naturally, it's darker, colder and cozier in the house. More candles are lit, more books are read on the couch, and we truly live within the walls of our home. 

I love it. 
It's wonderful to enjoy the space we have and capture a small scene of beauty.


I'm slowly trying to add some old fashioned details to our otherwise very normal, non-specific home. Anything that doesn't require calling a contractor or tearing out walls, is fair game for me to alter. We are slowly replacing light fixtures and changing things to our liking and style.

We have had these wall sconces over a year now, but I still smile inside when I see this scene. We have two; one on either side of our bed. This is Schoolhouse's Abrams wall sconce, with the straight bell shade in opal. 

Also, see that new, but old-looking porcelain door knob? It makes me so happy to use our doors now. Ha! 

                    

                                                
 
This is what they replaced. *happy sigh*

                                         

This year we added new light switch covers.



And...a push-button light switch. I remember using one in my Grandma's house, which my Uncle moved from their old farmhouse, and when I realized they make reproductions, I knew I wanted one somewhere in our home. Paired with a brass switch cover, it adds just the perfect touch for our mini hallway. We use this hall light more often now-just to push the button. 

                   
                       



A fellow homeschool mom friend of mine once said about our homes:

 "Try to create a place you want to be in and want to come home to."

This so resonated with me. My home is wonderful. It's spacious and works well for our family. It does not, however, have much of what I call "character". Aspects of detail like old fashioned woodwork, molding, wainscoting, unique tile floor or anything of the like, are distinctly lacking. I'd love to add some of those features at some point, but for now, I'm very happy with the little changes we can make, even if it's as small as a light switch cover.

I am grateful for where we live and for the opportunity to make it a place I want to be. 
Because it is. 
I do want to come home to it after shopping, or being away for the weekend, and I like being here. 

Comments

Popular Posts