Slow Christmastime














I use a traditional wheat flour recipe for gingerbread houses, since they are for decorating purposes only. 






Grain-free gingerbread cookie recipe from Celebrations, by Danielle Walker 




This December has been happily quiet and slow. The tree was decorated with great style and I told myself I won't move any ornament any child hangs unless the ornament itself is in grave danger or the tree itself is in grave danger. So far, all is well. ;)
Wreaths and fresh garlands were "hand crafted" by yours truly, early in the month. I'm so glad we have some pines on our property to clip branches from.
Cookie baking and gingerbread houses have been mixed, baked and decorated in shifts, over a few days in between sewing and wrapping gifts.
On the 13th, Natasha ceremonially surprised us with a St. Lucia representation, complete with a hand crafted wreath of paper and wax battery operated candles taped to a wreath frame, on her head.
We read lots of books and clean house and add discovered pieces to the ongoing puzzle on the table during these short days of the last month of 2018.
One night this past week, supper was over, I had just closed the door for the chickens, and I realized it would be a perfect night to surprise Natasha and Lincoln by taking them in their pajamas to go look at Christmas lights in town. So we quick got rounded around, I popped popcorn, put it in their own separate paper bags, and away we went. Now, our little town doesn't have world renowned lights to drive by, but I hope it will be a memory saved away for our children. It was special if nothing else because they got to eat popcorn in the car!

I hope your December is just as peaceful and restful, if only in your heart. I know these days can be crammed full with all the things and yet, if one tradition slips by, it's okay. Let it go and give yourself freedom to let it go.
I usually hang an advent calendar of some kind at the beginning of the month, but just wasn't into it this year. However, Natasha noticed I hadn't put it up and kept asking when was I going to hang the advent calendar?! So, around the 16th, I improvised this year and used a simple paper chain snowman count down that Lincoln did with his homeschool co-op class, instead. To make it more special, if there is a special activity to do on a certain day, I write it on the paper loop for that day before Natasha takes it off.
It has been perfect. Natasha has even taken to adding an activity herself. So I guess it doesn't have to be that much of a surprise anymore. I'm glad I didn't stress about a perfectly curated (that's the buzz word now, right?) Advent calendar, when a simple little paper chain does the trick. There's actually more of a visual anyway since the loops of the chain are disappearing the closer Christmas gets. I might have found I like this better in some aspects.

Wishing you a Merry little Christmas, let your heart be light!
Cheers, as we anticipate the greatest gift, God's own Son.



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a lovely, Merry Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thoughts and comments are always nice. I love to hear from my readers.

Popular Posts