Knitting for Babies and Babies Sleeping


First off, knitting. 

Last winter I actually knitted something for my yet-to-arrive baby. I chose a simple vintage pixie cap from the library's copy of "Vintage Knits for Modern Babies". It was easy aside from having some confusing instructions on how to attach the neck strap. I had to use pictures from other knitter's projects in Ravelry to figure out how to sew it on, but after that it went together well. I would make the neck strap longer next time as it seems a wee bit snug on little man's neck, but I have a feeling that's only because of his double chin and chunk. :) Natasha and I call him our little "gnome baby". 

 Sometimes getting decent pictures of babies is a little tricky


When I realized we would be in Canada for fall and it would only be increasingly chillier during our month stay, I decided mittens would be next. I found a good pattern in our library's copy of "What to Knit When You're Expecting," but I'm not expecting. :) Thankfully, my baby is here already.                       These came together easily as well. My only complaint is I wish I had about a 5 in. long circular needle for knitting in the round for projects like this. My double points are just too long or something, and end up flopping all over the place. 

    
I really like the encased elastic in the wristband on these to keep them on little hands. We do have a slight problem though since Lincoln likes to suck his thumb. How does one suck thumb with mittens on? 


It's possible, but not ideal.

     
It's so fun to have memories all over the globe with yarn. I purchased this possum/merino wool blend in New Zealand two years ago, knitted it while in Canada, and the mittens will be worn in the States and elsewhere I hope. :)

I still haven't visited a yarn store here in Quebec, but when I do, I'm on the search for some suitable sweater yarn for Lincoln. For some reason I really want to knit a baby sweater and it's so handy since I have a baby to wear it once it's done. :) Since I can't travel with my sewing machine, I knit when in other countries and it seems to work well. Usually we end up watching Top Gear or another similar type of show on Netflix in the evenings and I knit away.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Now for the sleeping topic. Anyone have any experience with the 4th month growth spurt babies go through and how it effects their sleep habits? Lincoln was sleeping through the night or only waking up once to nurse until three days ago. It totally switched and now he's up about 3 times a night, every 2-3 hours. I do not remember this with baby Natasha! Is there anything I should or could be doing to help him sleep better again at night?


Comments

Popular Posts